The best part of waking up shouldn't be coffee in your cup! Remember that catchy commercial toon in '96? If you weren't alive yet, here ya go.
While we are used to our routine of stumbling to the coffee pot, getting ready, and heading out the door with only a travel mug, we are sabotaging our nutrition.
In order to have fuel/energy for your day, blood sugar stability (i.e. less cravings), and the ability to build muscle, you need protein-powered mornings. I love the alliteration and all, but it's true, and I will prove it to you!
1. .8-1g per lb of Body Weight. (you doing the math in your head). Sh*t, that's a lot. Yep. And my guess is you're not getting enough. No need to be a mathematician about it; get an idea of protein amounts so you can estimate better. OH, and remember, my Half Your Plate Guide really simplifies things. If you missed that guide, it's here
2. A 20- 30-Gram Minimum at breakfast will be a game changer. Not only will it give you fuel and energy to have a more productive day, but it will get you started on a more blood sugar path for the day, not like a bagel, which leaves you weak and craving more craving crap in the afternoon.
1. Curbing Cravings. Protein is the unsung hero when it comes to curbing cravings. Starting your day with a protein-rich meal keeps you feeling fuller for longer, reducing the temptation to reach for that sugary treat before lunchtime. Let's face it; avoiding that cookie jar isn't always easy, but protein is the partner you need to help you stick to your goals.
2. Building Muscle Mass. A protein-rich breakfast can help in the quest for building and preserving muscle mass. More muscles mean more calories burned at rest, and who doesn't want that? Let's make our bodies work for us, even when resting.
3. The Thermogenic Boost: No, that isn't something Marty McFly used in Back to the Future. Thermogenesis, or the fancy term for the heat your body generates during digestion, contributes to extra calorie burning. So, it's like a little workout for your digestive system! High-protein meals can crank up your metabolism. Talk about efficiency!
"But Jenny, I don't know what to eat for breakfast."
Listen, it can be easy and delicious, and I won't have you guzzling raw eggs like Gaston.
(tough) love to you,
Your Realistic Holistic Nutritionist